OLYMPIC TEAM SPORTS PHYSICIAN
I thoroughly enjoy my work as a Sport and Exercise Physician. It certainly helps. I am so passionate about sport. I have followed most sports and have really enjoyed having a go at many myself (with variable success!!).
After becoming a doctor, I worked for the Australian Defence Force (Royal Australian Navy) as a Medical Officer, leading to the rank of Lieutenant-Commander. After completing my Masters in Sports Medicine, I studied further to obtain my Fellowship of the Australasian College of Sport and Exercise Physicians (ACSEP). In doing so, I managed to win the College Medal for my exams.
I have been privileged to be selected to provide medical care for Australian elite athletes, teams and medical clinics all around the world. Examples of these great experiences include:
- Australian Women's Basketball (Opals) - Team Physician (2003-2009)
- West Tigers Rugby League team (2006 - 2013)
- Tennis Australia Sport and Exercise Physician for NSW National Tennis Academy
- Chief Medicial Officer (Australia) - World University Games (2013)
- Chief Medicial Officer and Team Physician - Australian Men's and Women's Water Polo (Senior) Teams (2014-2016)
- Sport and Exercise Physician, Australian Medical HQ - Nanjing, China (2015) Youth Olympic Games
- Australian Medical HQ - Rio (2016) Olympic Games
- Medical Officer, Referees and Touch Judges, National Rugby League
- Sport and Exercise Physician - Australian Open Tennis Championships, Melbourne (2018 & 2019)
Another great passion of mine is education, especially our new generation of Sport and Exercise Physician. This year I have been appointed ACSEP Chair of Training. This involves heading up the Training Committee, responsible for Sports Medicine specialist training in Australia and New Zealand.
The ACSEP is widely recognised throughout the world as being the gold standard for its thorough and comprehensive standards of specialty training. Reflecting this, the Australian Medical Council (AMC) have, in 2018, accredited ACSEP for 6 years (longer in face than the AMC is).
- Extensive opinion and management of all musculoskeletal injuries and any exercise related medical conditions
- Cortisone, Monovisc and Durolane Injections
- PRP Injections
- Compartment Pressure Testing
Degree / Qualifications
- Fellow Australasian College of Sports Physicians (2007)
- Masters of Sports Medicine (2003)
- Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery (1991)
- Bachelor of Science (1987)
Membership of Professional Associations
- Australasian College of Sports Physicians